We are a church that is driven by biblical purposes of glorifying God and edifying people through Worship, Fellowship, Discipleship, Service, and Missions.
We are moved and motivated by the following values:
1. Team Work – We believe we can go farther together through a team mindset and authentic, empowering leadership (Hebrews 13:7; 2 Timothy 2:1-2)
2. Spiritual Gifts – Everyone has been given a gift by God through which they can serve others. We believe church structure, leadership, and volunteer opportunities are based on those spiritual gifts, so that every member is a minister in some capacity! (Romans 12:4-6)
3. Inspiring Spirituality – We believe that our Christian walk should be inspiring as we live our God’s purposes for our lives (Matthew 5:13-16; Matthew 22:37-40; 28:19,20)
4. Vibrant Gatherings – We believe that when we come together for church services, we should leave inspired and empowered (1 Corinthians 9: 22-23)
5. Small Groups – We believe that every member should be committed to growing spiritually in a small group that meets in people’s homes and also to inviting friends and family to these small groups. (Acts 5:42)
6. Evangelism – We believe that we should share the love we’ve received from God with others by sharing the gospel in a way that is respectful, loving, engaging, and personal. (Acts 4: 32-35)
7. Relationships marked by fraternal love (Romans 12: 10-11)
8. Biblical beliefs and integral practices (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
9. Spiritual Growth – We are committed to providing tools to help people in their Christian walk through classes, small groups, and volunteer opportunities (Ephesians 4:11-16)
10. Excellence and Creativity – We believe that everything we do should be done with excellence and creativity (Colossians 3:17)
We are so thankful for the 17 brothers and sisters that gathered at the home of Manoel and Sonia Cunha for a bible study starting on December 10th, 1981. On June 22nd, 1982, the group was named Brazilian Baptist Chapel, and had its first service in the same residence. Shortly thereafter, they moved their services to the Religious Education building of Highland Baptist Church.
Our church was formally organized as a Portuguese-speaking church on November 21st, 1982 in Jamaica, Queens, New York, with Pastor Humberto Viegas Fernandes. Pastor Humberto served the church until August 4th, 1986.
Pastor Levy Penido was the second pastor of the church, and he assumed the pastorate on March 15th, 1987 and led a fruitful ministry until the month of February of 1994. In this period there was much growth in the church’s membership; a pastoral residence was purchased and a building fund was started to purchase the church’s own building. In addition to this, the church also started planting home groups for bible study. Furthermore, a National Brazilian Baptist organization called CONJUBBRAN was organized through a member of the church, brother Helio Roberto Martins, and the first president of this organization was Helio dos Santos Filho. In this period, two daughter churches were also planted in New Jersey and Danbury.
Pastor Damivan Gonçalves dos Santos then served as interim pastor from March to October of 1995.
Our current pastor, Francisco José Carvalho Izidoro, then began his ministry at our church on October 14th, 1995.
Since then God has continued to grant our church great victories like the purchase of our own building, that has been completely paid off. This has been a great gift that God has given us!
Recently, we also ordained Pastor Lucas Izidoro, which along with his wife, Stephane Izidoro, is serving as pastor of our English Ministry.
In an effort to open the church to our local, English-speaking community, our church’s name has changed to Family Church, and now we offer English services and English-speaking Small groups through out Queens, Long Island, and Westchester.